Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Turning Halo 3 into School

I have been accused of turning everything into school. That is part of my job as a homeschooling mom--interpreting what the boys do in terms of school so Dad and the virtual charter we work with understand it. Halo 3 was released today, so the boys finished their lessons early enough to get busy with the other 118,000 people currently online.

On one of the screens, there was a global map light up to show where everyone was playing. The half the US from the Central Time Zone east was completely lit. So I asked the boys why there was relatively little activity west of here. It didn't take them long to figure out school is still in session in the Mountain and Pacific time zones.

We saw few players in continental Europe (where it's getting pretty late) but three hot spots right in the Baghdad/Kuwait area. Our men and women in uniform working out with Master Chief? That's my guess, although I haven't found any news reports about it. Our soldiers in Iraq did get to try out the Halo 3 Beta last Christmas, so I wouldn't be surprised if they got their own shipments of the game.

It just goes to show that even a video game like Halo can become a lesson in map-reading, and the boys didn't even notice! LOL

3 comments:

Zany Mom said...

What? Kids learn from ::gasp!:: video games??? Say it ain't so!!!


LOL.

Tiffany @ As For My House said...

Uh, oh, I'd better make sure MY smarty-pantys 13 y.o. homeschooler doesn't see this post! I've been putting him off on getting the game... ;)

Vicki said...

Lol, Halo3 is a hit with my nine yo, too!

I enjoyed reading your blog!
Vicki